Whip It (DVD review)

Saturday, February 6, 2010


My husband & I watched Whip It last night, and we both give it two thumbs up. I love Ellen Page, and she is awesome as Bliss Cavendar (Babe Ruthless). Even if you're not a roller derby fan, I think you'll enjoy this movie.

It was directed by Drew Barrymore, who plays Smashley SImpson, and also stars Marcia Gay Harden as Bliss's mother, Kristen Wiig as Maggie Mayhem, Eve as Rosa Sparks, Zoe Bell as Bloody Holly, Juliette Lewis as Iron Maven, Daniel Stern as Bliss's father, & Jimmy Fallon as 'Hot Tub' Johnny Rocket.

The basic plot is: "In Bodeen, Texas, an indie-rock loving misfit finds a way of dealing with her small-town misery after she discovers a roller derby league in nearby Austin." (from IMDB)

There's plenty of action, the expected teen angst & teen/parent friction, loads of humor, and of course, a lesson or two. The roller girls' names are hilarious - and their antics even more so.

A friend of mine (hey, T!) used to skate with the Denim Demons (Atlanta Rollergirls) - her Demon name was S.M. Allsk8r. You can see pics on their MySpace page. She tells me that Eve's (Rosa Sparks) stunt double is an Atlanta Rollergirl! And I have an Atlanta Rollergirls hoodie that T gave me for my birthday one year - how cool is that?

So watch the movie - it's definitely worth the 111 minutes!


0 comments: