Healthy smoothie

Saturday, June 5, 2010

I'm really trying to eat/drink better. I rarely drink pop - I'd say I never drink it, but occasionally I will have a little swig. I've even cut back on the Starbucks sweetened black tea! My latest obsession is water with lemon. Yep, that's it. It's so refreshing - and no calories, no carbs!

I've been looking for a recipe for some type of drink that I can use for breakfast or a snack. No dairy. I came across a recipe for a blueberry smoothie - from one of my favorite bloggers, Amanda at iammommy.

I made a few modifications because I didn't have frozen blueberries and also because I wanted to use my Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Machine to make the smoothie, LOL. So my version is as follows:

Blueberry Smoothie
1/2 large banana, peeled & sliced
2-3 kale leaves, removed from stems
1/2 c. baby spinach, stems removed
1/2 c. fresh blueberries
1/2 c. water
4-5 ice cubes

Blend in Frozen Concoction Machine until well-blended.

You can see the original blog post/recipe here.


The ingredients looked so pretty in the blender! All nice and green and leafy with a little splash of blueberry - very healthy!!


This certified organic red kale was STINKY!! I cleaned a bunch of it and left it in the colander on the counter - it made the whole kitchen smell bad. Ick. I don't know for sure about the taste because I really couldn't taste the kale or spinach in the smoothie. Which is a good thing.


Um, it was really, really ugly. It reminded me of barf. The color, not the taste. I recommend drinking it out of an opaque glass so you can't see the icky color. If you looked at the pictures on Amanda's blog, her smoothie was all pretty and blue/purple. I don't know why mine is swamp monster green/gray. Luckily, it tasted like blueberries and bananas and not swamp water.

I bet this would be good with strawberries in place of the blueberries, too!


2 comments:

Jessica said...

LMAO at the barf comparison!! It looks awful, but it does sound good! i may have to try this one.

Kim said...

I just had one for lunch and it looked much prettier this time, LOL. I added about 3/4 c. blueberries, and the berries were bigger and more ripe (last time I had a terrible time finding good plump berries) - so it was much more purple! Soooo tasty!!