Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion

Monday, July 19, 2010

I have several facial sunscreen samples that I want to test - so I'm starting with this one by Cosmedicine. The Medi-Matte Oil Control lotion is marketed as an oil control lotion that is also a skin protectant with spf 20 (1.35 oz. for $42).


Tip #1 - if you are sensitive to silicones, avoid this product! Tip #2 - if you love how silicones make your skin look/feel - try this product!

I've used silicone products in the past - some I liked, some I didn't. Some made my skin look smoother and some made my face very oily after a few hours (even though my skin really isn't very oily anymore). Some made it impossible to apply mineral makeup (MMU) because the powder "stuck" to the silicones.

The Cosmedicine company says "a little goes a long way" and "if your face feels sticky, you've applied too much". Hmmmm. Now we all know that "a little goes a long way" are not words one hears in connection with a sunscreen. So if you follow the company's advice and just use a little, I wouldn't rely on it as your only sun protection.

I'm sure I used more than the company recommends, but it seemed to work just fine. I even mixed a bit of my MMU with it - and I loved how that turned out! When I mixed the MMU with the Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion, the lotion became thicker, but I was still able to easily apply it. It made my pores virtually disappear! After waiting a few minutes for the product to set, I was able to dust more MMU on my skin for a bit more coverage without any caking of the powder.

I think the most impressive thing about this product is that at the end of the day, my makeup looked just like it did when I applied it! Even in 90 degree heat and 60% humidity!

The Cosmedicine site lists the key ingredients as:
  • Dimethicone: OTC ingredient with a breathable barrier bolsters skin's natural defenses. Creates a "zone of inhibition" that prevents the entry of harmful external irritants and potential environmental skin-agers and prevents the exit of vital moisture.
  • Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs): The ultimate cell regenerators. These marine-derived complex proteins help support the intercellular matrix and increase skin's elasticity.
  • Pomegranate Extract: A potent antioxidant whose free radical fighting activity is shown to be higher than that of red wine and green tea.
  • Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate): Powerful anti-oxidant in an easily absorbed form. Helps counteract skin damage; boosts skin's natural resistance UVA/UVB damage.
Active Ingredients:
  • Octinoxate 7.5%
  • Avobenzone 2%
Other ingredients:

  • Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer
  • Purified Water
  • Glycerin
  • C12-14 Pareth-12
  • Butylene Glycol
  • Punica Granatum Extract
  • Tocopheryl Acetate
  • Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer
  • Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Root Extract
  • Sorbitol
  • Squalane
  • Yeast Extract
  • Bambusa Vulgaris Extract
  • Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract
  • Glucosamine HCl
  • Panthenyl Ethyl Ether
  • Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
  • Polysorbate 60
  • Isopropylparaben
  • Isobutylparaben
  • Butylparaben
Bottom line: I wouldn't rely on this for adequate sun protection, but it's really great as a makeup primer if you have a tendency towards oily skin and don't have issues with silicones.
 
Repurchase? I liked it, but I don't know that I liked it enough to pay $42 for such a small tube - especially when you can't apply enough to get adequate protection from the sun. If it could actually double as a primer/sunscreen, then I would definitely consider repurchasing.


0 comments: