Monday's Meal

Monday, October 18, 2010

Gus & I went out to lunch last weekend and the restaurant had the most delicious gumbo I've ever tasted. That's when I decided that I really needed to learn to make my own gumbo.

I scoured the internet looking for recipes, comparing ingredients, etc. - and this is the one I decided to try. I tweaked the original recipe a little - we like thicker gumbo, so I decreased the liquid; and we also like just a little rice in the gumbo rather than serving the gumbo over rice. I was pleased with the results!


Chicken Gumbo


1/2 c. Smart Balance cooking oil
1/2 c. flour
1 large Vidalia onion, small dice
3 stalks celery, small dice
1 green pepper, medium dice
1 red pepper, medium dice
1 yellow pepper, medium dice
6 c. chicken stock
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 c. okra, sliced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cooked & shredded
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 TBSP. dried basil
1/2 TBSP. dried oregano
1/2 TBSP. dried thyme
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 TBSP. dried parsley
1 c. Minute Rice

Directions:
1) Heat oil in large stock pot over medium-high heat and add flour. Cook and stir until mixture is the color of an old penny.
2) Add onion, celery, & peppers. Cook for several minutes until they begin to "weep" and are fragrant.
3) Add chicken stock slowly while stirring ,and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender - about 20 minutes.
4) Add tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes.
5) Add chicken, okra, rice, and all seasonings.
6) Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

(adapted from this recipe by Anne Coleman) 



I couldn't find my usual cornbread recipe, so I used this recipe instead. This one is pretty good, but I think I like the other one better.


0 comments: