Monday's Meal - Mac-n-Cheese & Baked Beans

Monday, July 23, 2012

Today you get two-for one!! On July 4th, I made mac-n-cheese and baked beans. They were both pretty tasty, so I thought I'd share the recipes with you. The baked beans are probably the best I've ever eaten - of course, it's a Paula Deen recipe, so I'm not surprised. The mac-n-cheese recipe is courtesy of my sister, Rocky (not her real name, but a nickname our dad gave her).

I did modify Paula's recipe a little, so I'll post my version and also a link to her original recipe:

Southern Baked Beans
(click here for original recipe)
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced into teeny, tiny pieces
  • 1 (20-ounce) and 1 (10 oz.) can pork and beans
  • 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 pound bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Directions:
  • Brown bacon in skillet, remove, drain excess grease, cool, then cut into 1/2 " strips.
  • Dice onion (whatever size pieces you like - we like them tiny), then brown in bacon grease. Drain excess grease.
  • Add beans, mustard, syrup, brown sugar, ketchup, lemon juice, bacon, and onions to crockpot.
  • Cook on high for 3-4 hours, then reduce heat to low for an additional 3-4 hours.
  • Remove from crockpot and place in baking dish (I used a disposable aluminum baking pan). 
  • If making the same day, you can serve the beans directly from the crockpot.
  • If making a day ahead of time, allow to cool a little, then cover with foil, and place in refrigerator. The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees, then reheat beans for 45-60 minutes.

Southern Baked Beans


Rocky's Mac-n-Cheese

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
salt to taste (I used about 2 tsp.)
pepper to taste (I didn't use pepper)
5 cups milk (I used skim)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, colby, & Monterey Jack)
1 (16 oz.) box elbow macaroni
  • Cook macaroni according to package instructions.
  • In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter/margarine, remove from heat. 
  • Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. 
  • Return to medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly.
  • Add milk, one cup at a time.
  • Stir frequently until sauce thickens and mixture begins to boil.
  • Add cheese, one cup at a time; stir until cheese is melted.
  • Add cheese sauce to macaroni, mix thoroughly.
  • Place in baking dish & bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. 
  • If you like your mac-n-cheese "sloppy", you don't have to bake it in the oven.

Rocky's Mac-n-Cheese

Yummy!!


0 comments: