Who knew paint could be so much fun?

Friday, January 29, 2010

I am fascinated by the types of paint available these days. If I had little ones, I would seriously be creating the most fun rooms ever for them. Maybe I'll do it for my grandkids, but hopefully that's a long way off!  

Rust-oleum has 4 types of paint that would make any kid smile. Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware, and several online stores carry the Rust-oleum brand. They have a store locator on their website.


 
Chalkboard paint - chalkboard paint isn't new, but I still think it's really neat. When I was a kid, I would've loved to have had an entire wall on which I could draw/write. It's available in a spray, tintable base, and brush-on chalkboard paint.The tintable base can be tinted to 12 different colors! What could possibly be more cool than a pink or purple chalkboard wall? The spray is only available in black, and the pre-tinted brush-on is available in black or green. Latex paint that can be applied to metal, wood, masonry, drywall, plaster, glass, concrete, unglazed ceramics and hardboard. A 30 oz. can costs around $15.



Glow-in-the-dark paint - I can just see moms & dads painting little stars all over the ceiling with this! It is a latex paint that glows for up to 2 hours and can be applied to wood, metal, plaster, masonry or unglazed ceramic. A 7 oz. can costs about $10.


 Magnetic paint - I don't care if I am an adult, I want this paint!! LOL! This is a latex primer that is a dark gray colored base coat that allows you to create a surface that attracts magnets. Can be applied to wood, metal, masonry, drywall, and plaster. Can be followed by any latex paint - even chalkboard paint. One quart costs about $22.



Dry-erase paint - I'm not a huge dry-erase fan simply because there's always so much residue from the pens (and they stink, LOL!). But I do think it's amazing that you can now create your own dry-erase "wall". Can be applied to drywall, masonite, wood, cement, or metal. Comes in a kit - two part water-based system. Kit costs about $25 - not sure how much area it covers.



I read a fair number of bad reviews for the Rust-oleum Dry Erase paint. IdeaPaint also makes a dry erase paint - and theirs goes on in one coat. Their CRE-8 is a water-based paint and is available in 10 colors. It’s high performing, easy to install and is backed by a 5-year warranty. CRE-8 is available in kits that each cover 25 sq. ft. ($99) and 50 sq. ft. ($175) of surface.Kit also includes a foam roller, stir stick, can opener, & wet paint sign. So it's significantly more costly, but works better. I'm not sure I could ever want a dry erase area enough to pay $99 for 25 sq. ft., LOL!





And this one just intrigues me because it's supposed to smell like a milkshake!!  
Anna Sova Food Paint is made with up to 90% food ingredients! It's a zero VOC paint that is easy to apply & is also scrubbable (according to the website). The down side is that it's $69 per gallon.


0 comments: