Happy Birthday! How did this happen?

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Most days, except for being a bit more knowledgeable about life, I feel pretty much that same as I did when I was 28. So explain to me how I can possibly be the mother of a 20 year old!! That's right, today is my firstborn's 20th birthday.

Every year on his birthday, I say, "(insert his age) years ago today, it was raining - I was in labor and your dad was sleeping in the chair next to my hospital bed". My son flashes his trademark grin and rolls his eyes, but we both know that he secretly likes me to say it. His smile lights up the room. It's the same smile he had as a baby - and you can't help but smile back at him.

 
9 months old

4 years old

8 years old

 
16 years old

20 years old

He tells me that he's going to live with his dad & me forever, and we laugh at that. Part of me wishes I could keep him with me forever. But the realistic part of me knows that's not possible and I hope that I've done all I can to prepare him for a world that won't love him nearly as much as I do.

Happy birthday, buddy (I'd call you doodlebug, but you'd probably roll your eyes at me again). You've grown into a wonderful man, and I'm so proud of you.

Party time!! Excellent!!
Party on, Wayne.
Party on, Garth.
**headbanging**

Love, Mom


0 comments: