Laura Mercier Body Bronzing Makeup

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Another bronzer review! I read the reviews for Laura Mercier's Body Bronzing Makeup on Sephora and they were all pretty positive - people loving the scent, the color, and saying that it was water-resistant. The water-resistant part is what prompted me to order it - even though it was a little pricey at $38 for 5 oz.





I was anxious to try it as soon as it arrived, so I rubbed a bit on the back of one hand. My initial reaction was that it had a lot of pearlescent sheen - and the scent was not pleasant as so many people had said. It reminded me of a heavily perfumed soap - not "lightly scented with almond coconut milk" as the description stated.

But I wanted to give it a fair shot, so the next day, I applied it to my arms, legs, hands, & feet. The consistency was very nice - it was easy to apply and it absorbed/dried quickly. I still felt it was heavily scented - and that the scent didn't resemble anything almond or coconut or milk. Strike one.


The color was okay - it really didn't add a lot of color to my existing light tan - but it did boost it a little. There definitely is a good amount of pearlescent sheen to the product - almost too much so, in my opinion. I like a little glow, but I don't want to look like I'm literally glowing, LOL. Strike two.

The third test was for water-resistance. I was excited about this part because it's so difficult to find a bronzer that has water-resistance. I ran water over my hands (no soap, no rubbing), and a drop splashed on my upper arm. I blotted the spot with a paper towel and saw that there was a white spot where the water had been. Grrrr!

You can't see it very well in the picture, but the white spot was really obvious!

Then I blotted my hands dry - only to find that all of the bronzer was off them, too. I really don't know how anyone could say that the product was even remotely water-resistant. Strike three.



I really wanted to like it, but I can't justify paying $38 for a product that has no staying power.

To summarize:
PROS:
  • nice color, even though it's light
  • easy to apply
  • absorbs/dries quickly
CONS:
  • heavy, unpleasant fragrance
  • too much golden sheen
  • absolutely no water-resistance
REPURCHASE?
NO! I'm not even keeping this bottle - it's going back to Sephora.


0 comments: