Maybelline Instant Age Rewind foundation

Saturday, June 25, 2011

I really like Maybelline's Super Stay foundation (True Beige), but it's a little heavy - especially for summer. Plus the color only works if I'm sporting a fairly dark medium tan. I wear Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 (Sand) a lot in the summer, but sometimes, it's not quite enough. So I thought I'd give Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment makeup a try.


As you can see, it has a funky domed sponge applicator tip (similar to a flocked makeup sponge), and you turn the maroon collar to dispense the makeup into the applicator (like some lipglosses). Supposedly, this applicator will help "erase" lines. I assume it does this by keeping too much makeup from getting into facial lines. Does it work? Eh. Not impressed. For me, it just seemed to take the makeup right off my face, leaving very little behind.

The label says that the product offers SPF 18 and super-concentrated goji berry & collagen (supposed to tighten & improve skin's elasticity). I can't say for sure whether it works or not because I didn't use it enough to see a change.

I purchased 190 Nude - and that color does work well with a very light sunless tan (like I have in the winter). But it's too light for my summer sunless tan. There is just a very faint fragrance to the product - it's not horrible & does dissipate quickly. It also has a nice texture/consistency - but it is just too sheer for me. It's even more sheer than the LM Tinted Moisturizer.

However - all is not lost! The Maybelline Super Stay foundation that I find too heavy & dark works wonderfully well in summer when mixed 50/50 with the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind, which is too sheer & light. It's a really  nice consistency and gives medium coverage. I do find that my face tends to get a little oilier after a few hours with the Instant Age Rewind added, but a little IFP pearl powder or powdered mineral makeup takes care of that.

Are you wondering how I mix the two foundations together when the Age Rewind has a domed covered top? It's easy. I just twist the maroon color until a pea-sized amount of the foundation appears on the applicator, then I use my finger to remove it. I have a small glass rice dish that I use for mixing makeup - so I just put that in the bowl, then add about the same amount of the Super Stay!


2 comments:

Clover said...

I'm wondering can you can screw off the top at all?

Kim said...

Not that I can see. The top is like a "sleeve" that clicks when it turns in order to dispense the makeup into the applicator tip. You might be able to pry it off, but it's hard plastic, so I would be afraid it would break & then the makeup would dry out.