Family names and who's who...

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I've been trying to think of clever names to give my family so that I don't have to keep referring to them as husband, son, & daughter.

My husband was easy (that's not a reflection on his moral character, honest) - he shall henceforth be referred to as "Gus". He's really Gus the Dago, but I'm trying to be PC - and while he isn't offended by being called a Dago, others might not see it that way. So he's just plain ol' Gus.

My son was a little more difficult. Gus's nickname for him is "Ears", but I don't think that will work. No, he doesn't have especially large ears - the nickname started when he was little, because he had repeated ear infections, and two sets of PE tubes inserted. I don't pretend to understand the reasoning behind the nickname, I'm just relaying the facts. I used to call him "Doodlebug" because he loved snickerdoodle cookies - but since he's 20 now, I doubt that he would appreciate it if I called him that in my blog. My other nickname for him has always been "Buddy", because he was (is) my little buddy. So I think that's what I'll go with here. My son shall henceforth be known as "Buddy".

My daughter has several nicknames. Most are variations on her real name, so I don't want to use those. Gus calls her "Pissypot", and I think that's pretty self-explanatory. What can I say? She's always been a little melodramatic. Okay. A lot melodramatic. But we love her anyway. One nickname I always used for her was Lulubelle, so I think I'll use part of that. My daughter shall henceforth be called "Lulu".

The principal players:
  • Gus, the tall, dark, & handsome husband
  • Buddy, the good-looking, goofy gamer son
  • Lulu, the beautiful melodramatic daughter
with a supporting cast of:
  • Xander, the grumpy old fat cat
  • Patrick, the pretty princess/drama queen cat
  • Angus, the "ferocious" jungle cat
  • Riley, the smart yet slightly stupid dog


0 comments: