Law-Abiding Citizen

Tuesday, March 9, 2010


...starring Gerard Butler & Jamie Foxx. Have you seen it?

My husband and I watched it this weekend. I feel I should disclose the fact that my husband likes pretty much all "vigilante-type" movies, so it was a given that he would enjoy it. I, on the other hand, am a little more discerning. But give me a good plot, some suspense, a few good explosions, a surprise or two, some good-looking guys and I'm hooked, too. This movie had all of that - but something about it was disturbing to me. Then I figured out that I was just over-thinking it - I was trying to rationalize something that wasn't really meant to be rationalized.

I get the motivation behind the main character's actions. I even get that he had rationalized it in his mind by saying that he was trying to make everyone see what was wrong with the system. But in the end, I don't think he changed anything. So, in my mind, there's no way he can be viewed as 'justified' or 'a good guy' - I just have to see him as a man who lost everything, and when that happened, he lost himself as well. You'd see little flashes of the man he used to be (like when he would look at the bracelet his daughter made for him) - but for the most part, I think he died with his family.

I can usually figure out the plot within a few minutes of the movie starting - but with this one, it took me awhile to figure out what was going on and how it was going to end. I like a movie that can keep me guessing. So I'd probably give this movie 3 out of 5 stars. I liked it, but not well enough to watch it again.

If you saw it - what did you think of it?


0 comments: