If you can't say something nice...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I know I shouldn't be, but I am constantly amazed by the number of rude people out there. I'm talking about people who don't know how to voice their opinion without being obnoxious.

I'm all for speaking your mind - as a matter of fact, I think that most of the time, it doesn't pay to be quiet. But there are definitely times when you need to stop and think about what you're getting ready to say. Ask yourself if it's really necessary - or if there is a way to word it so that it's not offensive - or if it's going to make you look like an uneducated, immature ass.

For example, if you read someone's personal blog and you disagree with something they write about - before posting a comment, you should probably ask yourself if the comment is appropriate. After all, it's someone's personal blog - with their personal opinions - and their personal observations. It's not the gospel - it's not the law. So should you really make a comment telling that person that they are wrong/shallow/ridiculous/vain? Or would it be better to say something like "I feel differently" or "I see it this way" or "This is my opinion"?

There's a lot of truth to Thumper's father's advice - if you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all. You can be nice and still have a different opinion. I have no problem with opinions that differ from mine. Opinions - we all have them - we all have a right to ours - and that's the way it should be...Amen. But insulting me on my blog is like coming into my home and insulting me. Would you want me to come to your house and insult you? I would like to think that your mother taught you better. Or perhaps she did, and she would be just as appalled at your behavior as I.

So if you make a comment on one of my blog posts and it's rude, insulting, or otherwise disrespectful - don't expect to see it posted. That's why the comments are moderated. Please take your nastiness elsewhere. On the other hand, if you have a well-thought-out comment to make and you're respectful in your wording, I have no problem with posting it for everyone to see. I know not everyone will agree with me and I wouldn't have it any other way. Variety is the spice of life!

My readers are awesome - but over the past couple of days, I've had people appear out of nowhere just to make rude comments. I don't know these people - they've never commented on my blog before - and apparently they're just signing up for an ID just to make a rude comment. Nice, huh?

I apologize for the need for this little soapbox rant. We now return to our regularly scheduled program. I'm going to go listen to Nirvana's "Lake of Fire"...


2 comments:

lisamack said...

I just came across your blog a couple of days ago and I am usually more of a read but don't post kind of person but I wanted to comment on both your botox and rude people. First you kind of opened the door to people when you put all of your "persoanl" infomation on the web for everyone to see and comment on. Having said that I would like to add that just because you put this stuff up doesn't give people the right to be mean and rude just because they want to!!! People should think before they post nasty comments. You don't always have to agree with everything other people do but that is no excuse to be hateful! At least those type of people tend to get bored quickly so if they haven't already it won't be long before they move on to something else to pick apart.

As for the botox, I have not had that done Yet! I have had Restylane though and I love it! The problem areas I have are better suited to restylane but I am now thinking about getting the botox treatment in the same area you did. That seems to be an area that is getting deeper lines. I hope you continue to post your progress because I have enjoyed watching your skin transform. You have a great blog and for some reason botox and all of those types of treatments seem to be a sore subject with some women. I have no idea why. What I choose to do to my face or body is really no one else's business but I know some women that are very against it and others like myself that take full advantage of these treatments especially in recent years as they become more affordable.


Please continue your blog and remember that there are far more people that are enjoying your blog then picking it apart. You look very youthful in your pics. Is botox the only treatment you get done or are there others? I routinely get facials and microdermabrasion. I have also had a few chemical peels but I am not as in to them because of the healing time needed. You know the red peeling face! Yuck!

Please keep the blogs coming! Your blogs are great! Very interesting and informative. Oh and I am going to have a fried bologna sandwich today! Haven't had one since I was kid!

Kim said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! And I'm glad you posted!

That was the exact point I was trying to make - people don't have to be nasty when they make comments. There is a way to disagree without being unpleasant. So I really just put this post out there to inform people that if they choose to be nasty, they need not bother to look for their comment, because it won't be posted, LOL!

You said "what I choose to do to my face or body is really no one else's business" - I agree!! I'm not sure why things like Botox are such a problem. If you choose to get it - fine. If you choose not to get it - fine. If I get it, it's not affecting anyone else. I prefer to save my arguments for things that actually matter - just ask my family how I nag them about recycling!! LOL!

Thank you for saying I look youthful! I will be 49 this year - and this Botox treatment is the first thing I've ever had done. I've done a few peels at home, but those don't really compare to the ones they do professionally. I have always tried to take care of my skin - and I do use several skincare products - but until the Botox, all of my "treatments" have been done at home. I think if I had to pick one thing that has contributed to keeping my skin "young", it would be practicing "safe sun" and wearing sunscreen daily. The only tanning I do is of the sunless variety.

Enjoy your fried bologna sandwich! And don't be shy - keep posting!