Asian Coleslaw

Monday, September 13, 2010

Our street had a party this weekend, and one of our neighbors made Asian coleslaw. I usually don't like coleslaw, but this one looked so tasty, I decided to give it a try. It was delicious!! So delicious, in fact, that I bought the ingredients and made some yesterday! It's not the healthiest coleslaw due to the sugar & oil, so I'm going to try to find a healthier version that is just as tasty. In the meantime, I used a "healthier" vegetable oil blend. I didn't think of it at the time, or I would've used stevia instead of the sugar.


Asian Coleslaw

2 pkgs. (3 oz. size) oriental-flavor ramen noodles
16 oz. coleslaw mix
1 c. sunflower kernels
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. white vinegar

Crush the ramen noodles and place them in the bottom of a large bowl (save the flavor packets to use later).  Top with coleslaw mix and sunflower kernels.

Whisk together contents from flavor packets, sugar, oil, and vinegar. Pour over slaw. Cover and chill for 24 hours (or at least overnight). Toss before serving.

Makes about eight 1 cup servings.

(adapted from Asian Coleslaw recipe by tastyrachel
on cdkitchen.com)

Thoughts: I think if the ramen noodles were precooked, rather than relying on the liquid in the coleslaw to soften them, you could reduce the amount of oil - possibly replacing some of it with water since the flavor packets are used. Using stevia or erythritol instead of sugar and using a healthier oil would also increase the "healthy" factor.

Does anyone have a healthier version? If I find one, I'll be sure to post it!


0 comments: